CK Vineeth’s pair of goals in the extra time led Bengaluru FC to the Federation Cup triumph in a 2-0 win over Mohun Bagan in Cuttack on Sunday.

The game, which was an end-to-end one with a lot of action, failed to crown the victor in normal time and had to progress to extra time. Bengaluru dominated the game for the most part and it eventually resulted in a title victory for the south club.

Both the teams lined up with an identical 4-4-2 formation as Alberto Roca opted for Udanta Singh and Semilen Doungel to lead the line. The Blues also had to introduce Salam Ranjan Singh in the back-line due to Cameron Watson’s suspension because of accumulating two yellow cards. Mohun Bagan’s attack was spearheaded by Darryl Duffy and Balwant Singh. Indian national football team player Jeje Lalpekhlua started the game from the bench.

Bengaluru dwarfed over their foes early in the first half despite, dominating the game for long stretches with Sandesh Jhingan leading the way. The Blues had an early chance when Eugeneson Lyngdoh released Udanta Singh on the left, who attempted to put in a cross but was blocked by defender Pritam Kotal to negate the winger’s threat.

Minutes later, Bagan tried to create a similar opportunity on the break when Darry Duffy, Balwant Singh and skipper Katsumi Yusa attempted to create a chance from the right wing but were unsuccessful in their endeavor due to Sandesh Jhingan’s block. Bengaluru came the closest in scoring in the early exchanges when Lyngdoh came up to take a corner in the 20th minute. His swing inside the box was met with a brilliant effort from Udanta Singh, who tried to volley the ball in but was called offside due to the ball hitting Seminlen Doungel en route to the goal.

The Southern Eagles continued their dominant display on the Sunday evening and would have scored if not for goalkeeper Debjit Majumber’s touch on an Udanta Singh’s chipped effort. While Sonjay Sen’s men retained the possession of the ball for the most of first half, it was Bengaluru who looked more threatening and came close a bunch of times to open the scoring.

Second half was even more entertaining with typical end-to-end action with both teams creating chances but failing to convert them. Bengaluru came mighty close to getting a breakthrough when a surging Udanta Singh flicked the ball over Debjit, who left his line, but was met with disappointment as the ball went off the mark.

The game was scoreless in 90 minutes which led to extra time. The first goal of the game came in 107th minute when CK Vineeth grabbed the goal by finishing from the edge of the box as the shot was deflected off Bagan’s Anas Edathodika. CK Vineeth finished off the game in style after around eight minutes with a pile driver which left Bagan shot-stopper dumbfounded.

Bengaluru, who were considered underdogs going into the game due to absence of key players like Sunil Chettri, secured their second Federation Cup in three years. It was the Blues’ fourth trophy in just their fourth year of existence having won the I-League in 2014 and 2016.