The world number 13,Belgian David Goffin pulled out from Wimbledon because of the nasty ankle injury he suffered at the recent French Open. The 26-year-old had to retire from his third-round match at Roland Garros when his right foot became jammed beneath the rolled-up covers at the back of the Suzanne Lenglen Court.

“David’s rehabilitation is going well and the injury is gradually improving, but in order not to risk it and to be 100 percent for his return, David decided with his doctors and team to return to competition after Wimbledon,” Goffin’s team said in a statement.

“I am very sad to announce I won’t play at the Wimbledon Championships … doctors are positive but I won’t have enough time to be ready for the tournament,” he said.

“I want to be 100 percent. Can’t wait to be back on court.”

Read: 5 Takeaways from the 2017 French Open

The Belgian has had a good season so far in reaching two ATP Tour finals, and he also beat Dominic Thiem and Novak Djokovic during his run to the Monte Carlo Masters semi-finals in April and reached the quarter-final of this year’s Australian Open.

The 131st edition of Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam tournament of the year, will run from July 3 to July 16.

LEAVE A REPLY