In the final game of the three national invitational, Germany defeated the Indian National Hockey Team 2-0 in Dusseldorf in an action-packed clash. Germany collected 7 points from the four matches with 2 wins, one loss and a draw while India finished the trilateral tournament with 4 points in their 4 matches with one win, one draw and two losses.

India began the game on a promising note earning a penalty corner as quickly as in the 2nd minute but the German defense too solid for drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh, who scored a brace in India’s 3-2 win over Belgium, to uncork.

Read: Hockey: Harmanpreet’s Double helps India edge Belgium

In the next few minutes, Germany, who were the bronze medalists at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, started taking control of the match with their superior attacking skills and ball possession. Their efforts to create space in the striking circle were rewarded with Thies Ole Prinz perfectly deflecting the ball inside the net in the seventh minute. Not long after drawing first blood, Germany had a chance to double their lead but their penalty corner attempt was saved well by keeper Akash Chikte.

India played the second quarter cautiously, not looking to lose possession as they sought space in the German defense. It took almost half an hour for India to find their first real opportunity of the second period with their second penalty corner of the game. However, the chance was wasted and the hosts went into the half-time break with a 1-0 lead.

The third quarter saw little action as it went scoreless. Indian kept on pressuring Germany and came closer each time to find a real breakthrough. With just over three minutes left, India attained another penalty corner but Harmanpreet Singh’s hard shot was denied by a diving German goalkeeper.

Read: Indian Hockey coach Oltmans calls for improvement in Goal Scoring

As the game was drawing to a conclusion, India took forward their goalkeeper to provide the attack with an extra man but it ultimately went in vain. Germany scored their second goal of the match in the 60th minute courtesy of a Timm Herzbruch shot.